Tuesday 2 June 2009

Pram Direction (again)

In my last post, I was guilty of the type of dishonesty that frequently happens "on the internet": I referred to a document before actually reading it.

Last night, I actually read through What's life in a buggy like. There was a lot more in it than I remember being said on the radio or in the bbc article. One point that lept out at me was this:

Was the parent talking to the awake child?
Buggy away: 11 %
Buggy toward: 25 %
Carried: 46 %
Walking: 47 %

Was the child vocalising?
Buggy away: 12 %
Buggy toward: 17 %
Carried: 31 %
Walking: 50 %

I realised that my daughter frequently "asks" to be taken out of the pram, and when I do, I actually do talk to her a lot more - telling her what my concerns/dilemmas are and pointing out objects or people-doing-activities that I think might be interesting to her. Today, I made a conscious effort to pick her up whenever she was awake and it was safe to do so. I think that we both had a lot of fun this way despite the unforgiving heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment